Sunday, September 2, 2012

Things I miss...

Though we've made some attempt to make this a Congo blog, we've suffered for lack of material since our lives are mostly absorbed by school and other boring things.  Hence, the lack of posts...

Thinking about South Africa usually makes me want to post, and now that it's been over a year since we left South Africa and we are planning a brief trip back, I've been thinking a lot about the things I miss.  When we left, we were definitely ready for something new, but with a year's perspective, it's become clear that South Africa is a (but not the only) place I will always call home.  So here are some of the things that I really miss about Mzansi:

Speaking South African - Spending some time in the UK this summer I got a bit more perspective on what popular South African expressions are really Britishisms, but I occasionally still pepper my speech with SAisms.  Just the other day I was speaking French to a little girl and added in an "ne?" at the end of my sentence.  I wonder what she thought I meant.  I also love figuring out connections between languages and was happy to learn the other day that the word for dance (bina) is the same in Lingala and Setswana.

House music - As I wrote about previously,  South African house music has gone from annoying to nostalgic for me.  Every time we go see a Congolese artist (and Congolese music is awesome), I secretly want to run home and flip on "Jika Ma Jika".

My friends - Though we've met some wonderful people here, our friends in Jericho are some of my favorite people in the world.  I can't wait to see them soon, and I'm thankful for Facebook and relatively cheap phone calls to be able to keep in touch with some of them.

The kids - Recently I saw a photo of some of my favorite students...who I taught in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade...after completing a life skills program in 7th grade.  These are some of the most silly, creative, and bright kids I know, and I can't wait to see how they have grown.

TV - I told James that we have to watch "Rhythm City", our favorite soapie, while we are in SA even though we'll only be there for a few days, and I wasn't kidding.  I love South African TV, commercials and all.

Cheap food - We're planning a grocery shopping trip while we're there.  Even with Shoprite here, things remain expensive, and it's a great chance to stock up on chakalaka, peanut butter, and other deliciousness.

On the Congo front, we went to FIKIN (the Kinshasa fair) a few weeks ago.  They have bumper cars and other more dangerous rides that were all imported in 1970 or so and who knows if they've been fixed since.  The bumper cars were fun but probably really dangerous.  We didn't partake in anything where we would have to leave the ground.  I also had cotton candy (something I never found in South Africa despite its wonderfulness) on a bamboo stick.  It was delicious.  


1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about house music, and speaking South African. We speak Tswana and Afrikaans and the mixture to Jasmir all the time, just out of habit. I hope you enjoy(ed) your trip back "home"

    ReplyDelete